I was a Stupid Driver

I was a stupid driver for many years. Of course it was when I was young so I have an excuse. My biggest problem was speeding. I also did some other stupid things like passing in dangerous situations. But the absolute most idiotic thing I ever did was backing my father's car through the front window of a Pizza Restaurant.

Lucky for me I didn’t hurt anyone inside the restaurant. But I did have to pay for the window ($275) and to replace the exhaust system ($900) that was ripped off the bottom of the car. At sixteen that was a lot of money.

They say that admitting you have a problem is the first step to being cured. These days I am a safe driver. I don’t speed, I don’t tailgate, I use my turn signals and I always wear my seatbelt. But I am surrounded by idiots.

If you’re like me and just want to drive without some moron attached to your rear bumper then welcome. The stories chronicled here will help you know you’re not alone. Think of this as a 12-step program to becoming a smart and safe driver.

Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Attacked by an Aggressive Driver in Miami

If you haven’t heard Miami has won the award for the worst aggressive driving problem in the country for two years running. I know a little about it I grew up in Miami and still drive through once in a while. And my younger sister lives there.

Occasionally she calls me from her car and more often than not our calls are interrupted with her cursing out some driver that cut her off. Come to think of it maybe she is part of the problem in Miami.

My brother in law drives about an hour to work each way in Miami. He’s a calm guy that minds his own business. Last week he is driving home and suddenly has a guy chasing him. I mean this lunatic is swerving in and out of traffic trying to ram his car. Apparently the guy felt like my brother in law cut him off.

As the traffic slowed down the guy actually slams his car into the back of my brother in laws car and gets out of the car. He runs up to his window and starts screaming at him using language I can’t repeat. So my bother in law calls 911. He lowers his window down just a few inches and holds up the phone so the dispatcher can here this nut screaming.

Amazingly the guy sticks around until the police arrive. They immediately arrest him and it turns out he has outstanding warrants for a variety of traffic offenses. So one less maniac is off the street in Miami.

This is not to pick on Miami but I guess I am picking on Miami. There’s a big problem down there. You can feel your blood pressure go up as you head south into the Miami area. The pace of traffic picks up, the traffic gets worse and it’s not unusual to see cars swerving in and out of traffic.

What is Considered Aggressive Driving by the National Highway Transportation Safey Administration.


  • Tailgating

  • Weaving in and out of traffic

  • Threatening other drivers verbally or with gestures



When Confronted by Aggressive Drivers

  • Get out of their Way

  • Wear your seat belt – it will protect you in case they ram your car

  • Avoid eye contact

  • Call 911



And my favorite suggestion: If an aggressive driver is involved in a crash down the road, stop a safe distance from the crash scene, wait for the police to arrive and report the bad behavior. Just once I’d like to see one of these maniacs get a ticket.

No comments: