I was a Stupid Driver

I was a stupid driver for many years. Of course it was when I was young so I have an excuse. My biggest problem was speeding. I also did some other stupid things like passing in dangerous situations. But the absolute most idiotic thing I ever did was backing my father's car through the front window of a Pizza Restaurant.

Lucky for me I didn’t hurt anyone inside the restaurant. But I did have to pay for the window ($275) and to replace the exhaust system ($900) that was ripped off the bottom of the car. At sixteen that was a lot of money.

They say that admitting you have a problem is the first step to being cured. These days I am a safe driver. I don’t speed, I don’t tailgate, I use my turn signals and I always wear my seatbelt. But I am surrounded by idiots.

If you’re like me and just want to drive without some moron attached to your rear bumper then welcome. The stories chronicled here will help you know you’re not alone. Think of this as a 12-step program to becoming a smart and safe driver.

Monday, September 10, 2007

110 Years of Stupid Driving

September 10 marks a significant event in the history of Stupid Driving. One Hundred and Ten years ago today on September 10, 1897 was the first recorded arrest for drunk driving.

The Original Stupid Driver
London Taxi cab driver George Smith was arrested for drunk driving when we crashed his taxi into a building. Back then there was no breathalyser or even a drunk-ometer (the precursor to the breathalyser).

Drunk Driving in The USA, 1907
In 1907 there was a horrific car accident near Colorado City that killed four men. A 26 year old driver named Albert Marksheffel enjoyed a night of drinking with his buddies at the Elks Club. Next they loaded up in Albert's car for a cruise. At some point Albert lost control of his car, hit the railroad tracks, and crashed into a ditch.

Like many incidents the drunk driver lived. But four of his friends will dead at the scene. Albert lost his license but never spent a night in jail. This case caused many states to put laws in place to regulate drinking and driving.

Here we are in 2007 , three generations later and we still have people stupid enough to drink an drive.

No comments: