I was a Stupid Driver

I was a stupid driver for many years. Of course it was when I was young so I have an excuse. My biggest problem was speeding. I also did some other stupid things like passing in dangerous situations. But the absolute most idiotic thing I ever did was backing my father's car through the front window of a Pizza Restaurant.

Lucky for me I didn’t hurt anyone inside the restaurant. But I did have to pay for the window ($275) and to replace the exhaust system ($900) that was ripped off the bottom of the car. At sixteen that was a lot of money.

They say that admitting you have a problem is the first step to being cured. These days I am a safe driver. I don’t speed, I don’t tailgate, I use my turn signals and I always wear my seatbelt. But I am surrounded by idiots.

If you’re like me and just want to drive without some moron attached to your rear bumper then welcome. The stories chronicled here will help you know you’re not alone. Think of this as a 12-step program to becoming a smart and safe driver.

Monday, August 20, 2007

Florida Turnpike Tolls for Dummies

A toll is:

"a payment or fee exacted by the state, the local authorities, etc., for some right or privilege, as for passage along a road or over a bridge."

Most turnpikes have tolls. As you are driving along you start to see warning signs like "approaching toll booth", "prepare to stop in 1 mile and pay a toll", "hey stupid, start scrounging around your car for $1.25".


A Toll Booth on the Florida Turnpike near Orlando


Who Doesn't Get the Toll Thing?
Apparently there is an epidemic of moronic drivers in Florida that do not understand what a toll is. They speed through the toll booth without paying. We could try to blame this on tourists but they are only a fraction of the problem. No, most of these dip stick drivers are licensed Florida Drivers.

3,000 people a day blast through Florida Turnpike Toll booths without paying...

Pay Your Fine On Time
The problem has become so common that the Florida Highway Patrol has setup a special enforcement effort and implemented a zero tolerance policy. If you are caught running a toll booth you will receive a letter in the mail, in most cases it will include a traffic citation with a $25 fine.

Since most tolls are about $1.00 you might want to consider paying your toll next time.

If you pay the fine within 30 days, the citation will NOT BE FILED with the court. You are done. If you DO NOT PAY THE FINE within 30 days, but pay it within 75 days then you will pay a penalty ranging from $75 to $154.50 (depending on the county) and you get no points on your drivers license.

If You Don't Pay the Fine
If you wait more than 75 days - you are officially a stupid driver. Your drivers license will be suspended and you will not be able to renew your vehicle registration until you resolve the issue.

Imagine losing your drivers license over a $1.00 toll. It happens and is further proof that we have plenty of people

No comments: